The Babel Software Suite
This is babel, the Treaty of Babel analysis tool.
Babel performs all the fundamental operations for dealing with
the features offered by the treaty, and serves as a flexible
multi-tool for analyzing and working with treaty-compliant files.
- extracts metadata from story files
- extracts cover art from story files
- determines the format of a story file
- determines the IFID of a story file
- verifies the correctness of iFiction metadata
- bundles story files, metadata, and cover art together in the blorb format
Babel is also a portable C API for accessing the functionality provided by
Included with the babel source is a suite of programs intended to extend
babel's functionality and help users start taking advantage of the benefits
provided by the treaty.
The babel suite includes:
- babel-get: Fetches metadata and cover art from a variety of sources
- babel-list: Demo program to describe all story files in a directory
- ifiction-aggregate: Combine multiple iFiction files into one
- ifiction-xtract: Search metadata for a named value
- babel-cache.pl: Build a cache of metadata and cover art for your story file collection
- babel-marry.pl: Encapsulate your story collection with its metadata
- simple-marry: Simplified babel-marry for windows users
- babel-wed.pl: Find and merge a story file with its metadata (also available as windows executable)
Some of babel-get's functionality requires cURL, the command-line url tool,
which can be obtained at http://curl.haxx.se.
Back to the index